For more than a hundred years, Trevecca Nazarene University has been meeting the educational needs of students. From its earliest beginnings in 1901 as a pastor’s training class for Christian workers to its modern role as a university, Trevecca’s focus has been to provide higher education within the context of a Christian community.
The name Trevecca means House of Rebecca or "a binding together in love." Trevecka is the name of a school, a castle, and a village in Wales (all in the same area). The school, established in 1768 by Lady Huntingdon, was an effort to “bring together” followers of John Calvin and John Wesley. Trevecca’s founder, J. O. McClurkan, probably chose that name because he, too, saw the value of both ways of thinking and because he believed that name was appropriate for a nonsectarian holiness school.